|The busiest "little" township in Indiana
|Clear Creek Township
Monroe County, Indiana
|Copyright © Clear Creek Township. All Rights Reserved.
MP 228.2 5th Subdivision
|Copyright © 2002 - 2010 Tom Kepshire/ Buzzy Productions
Bygone places along the "Hoosier Line",
Hosted by Tom Kepshire, South Bend, IN at www.monon.monon.org
|Originally part of the New Albany and Salem's mainline,
the route through Smithville was one of the most rugged and difficult portions.
With grades in excess of 2% and prone to washouts. The best locomotive, at the
time, could only handle 15 loaded cars over this part of the mainline. In January
1898 the CI&L chartered a new railroad, called the Indiana Stone Railroad. It
was built to tap the limestone resources of the area. With grades of .57%,
immediately the Indiana Stone Railroad became the CI&L's mainline and the old
line through Smithville became a double-ended branch.
The line was abandoned winter of 1939-1940 after a major washout occurred.