|The busiest "little" township in Indiana
|Clear Creek Township
Monroe County, Indiana
|Copyright © Clear Creek Township. All Rights Reserved.
Smithville was born when the New Albany railroad was built in 1852-3. Mansfield Bennett and
George Smith laid the town out on section 3 in November, 1851. Thirty-eight lots were platted
on each side of the railroad. Smith opened the first store, and was succeeded by a blacksmith
and a few scattering families. Its population is now three hundred and seventy-five
people. Although very small, the town is well connected with the larger cities of the county and
state, being on the Monon railroad. G. M. Deckard is the postmaster, and also owns a first-class
general store and caters to the best trade of the community. O. E. Deckard also runs a general
store, and Miss E. A. Deckard has a millinery shop. J. L. Waring. Stull Brothers and W. G.
Updegrafif also have general goods in stock. Ralph Carpenter is the blacksmith, and Lee
Horton, the barber. In connection with the blacksmith shop there is a mill and corn crusher. R.
B. Carter conducts the newspaper. The Smithville News which is published weekly. The
physician is Dr. J. Kentling.
Smithville is not incorporated, and there are no town officials, other than the justice of the
peace. James H. Burkhart. The Methodist and Christian churches have houses of worship here.
The Knights of Pythias have a lodge here and, in connection with the Improved Order of Red
Men, have a handsome brick building. Plans are on foot to establish an electric light plant here.
The business houses and residences are wired and have been supplied with current, but
financial reasons compelled the failure of the former plant.